Fire heavily damages local salon Friday night


A natural gas grill is being blamed for a fire that heavily damaged a local beauty salon Friday night.

Around 9:15 p.m. Friday, fire crews were called to the 200 block of York Road in South Middleton Township for a report of a fire at Joyce Morgan Beauty and Wig Salon, according to Union Fire Company Chief Brian Hamilton.

Hamilton said the occupant lit a natural gas grill at the rear of the building underneath an overhang with a wooden ceiling sometime between 6 and 7 p.m.

“The occupant forgot about the grill being on and went to bed sometime around (9 p.m.),” Hamilton said via email. “Shortly thereafter she smelled smoke, went to investigate and found the grill on fire, which had extended into the roof area. She immediately called 911.”

The fire had spread to the building by the time crews arrived on scene, Hamilton said. Fire was showing from the ridge vent of the roof.

Crews were able to quickly extinguish the grill and surrounding area, but had a more difficult time with the remainder of the fire that had spread into the roof area, according to Hamilton.

Hamilton said the fire had damaged the roof trusses, requiring crews to battle to blaze from the outside because of concern of a possible roof collapse.

 
 

It took about 40 minutes for crews to control the fire and return inside to extinguish any remaining flames.

“(Fire department) personnel attempted to save as many personal belongings as possible like pictures and keepsakes for the owner,” Hamilton said. “The structure had significant damage from fire, smoke and water.”

There were no injuries reported with the fire, and Hamilton said assistance was not needed from the American Red Cross thanks to local family and friends who offered to help the owner.

Crews from Union Fire Company, Carlisle Fire & Rescue Services and Citizen Fire Company of Mount Holly Springs cleared the fire at 12:17 a.m. Saturday, Hamilton said, noting the fire has been accidental.

In post to the business’ Facebook page, Joyce Morgan wrote that all customer contact information had been lost. Morgan wrote that the business was determining how to continue providing services, and customers are asked to call 462-5336.

“By God's mercy, no one was injured, but the shop and home sustained significant damage,” Morgan wrote in the Facebook post. “The outpouring of love from friends, family and neighbors has been amazing. Restoration services have begun, and our priority at this time is determining ways in which we can continue to serve our customers.”

Source: http://cumberlink.com/news/local/communities/carlisle/fire-heavily-damages-local-salon-friday-night/article_93cf0b26-145a-5a89-af9e-2087a0a8e6ef.html

Share This Posting
LinkedIn
Google Plus
Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr
Pinterest
Reddit
Blogger
E-Mail
Gmail
Yahoo
20 Years Of Expert Local Experience
Contact Us Today
Copyright © Binghamton Environmental & Construction Group 2019 - All rights reserved
Web Design & SEO by Scriptable Solutions.